William (Sandy) W. McAllister, Jr.
Sandy McAllister has a broad, multi-faceted practice that includes zoning and land use matters, corporate, commercial, construction and general litigation, education law and general business law. Throughout his storied career, Sandy has successfully represented a variety of institutional and corporate clients. In addition, Sandy serves as general counsel to the Caroline County Board of Education.
Sandy’s practice includes real estate development throughout the Eastern Shore region – both commercial and residential. Among his notable case results, Sandy has assisted in the successful development of the Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Resort, North Bay/Erickson Environmental Center and other significant regional development projects. The Hyatt and Erickson projects both involved significant public and private sector cooperation, as well as complex federal, state and local approvals. As the former City Attorney for Cambridge, he frequently works with state and regional agencies in complex zoning and development matters.
Prior to founding McAllister, DeTar, Showalter & Walker (MDSW), Sandy practiced with Miles & Stockbridge P.C. for 31 years, 25 of which as a partner. Sandy is a true local. He was born in Easton and raised in Cambridge. His wife, Debbie, was born and raised in Salisbury, and their two grown sons live and work in Ocean City. The McAllister family takes every opportunity to enjoy the rivers and beaches of the Chesapeake Bay region, participating in local endeavors and community projects whenever possible.
- Maryland, 1984
- Supreme Court of the United States, 1987
- United States Federal District Court for the District of Maryland, 1991
- Maryland Court of Appeals, 1984
- Chesapeake College Foundation, 2009-2016
- Mid-Shore Community Foundation, 2008-present
- M&T Bank Regional Advisory Board, 2006-present
- Judicial Nominating Commission, 2003-2007; 2015-present
- University of Maryland Center for Environmental Studies: Board of Visitors, 2000-present
- First National Bank: Regional Advisory Board, 1992-1997
- Leadership Maryland, Chairman, Recruitment Committee, 1994-2002; General Counsel, 2003-present; Member, Board of Directors, 1995-2002
- Dorchester County Salvation Army, Member, Advisory Board, 1989-2007
- Martindale-Hubbell “Distinguished” Peer Review Rated
- What’s Up Eastern Shore® - Eastern Shore Leading Lawyers – Selected for inclusion in the area of Administrative Law, May 2016