Creditors' Rights & Bankruptcy
Counseling Businesses on Creditor Rights and Bankruptcy Matters Across Maryland, Delaware and Beyond
The commercial and retail collection lawyers at McAllister, DeTar, Showalter & Walker (MDSW) are powerfully effective at reducing receivables and resolving outstanding debts while always remaining cognizant of strict federal and state debt collection laws. We also advocate for and protect the rights of secured and unsecured creditors in bankruptcy proceedings.
Effective and Efficient Collection Counsel
For creditors needing counsel in Maryland to protect their interests and realize recoveries on outstanding balances, MDSW provides both effectiveness and efficiency, whether it is pursuing an individual debtor or handling a larger portfolio of receivables. We understand what works and what doesn’t in collection matters. We also know that every dime spent on legal fees reduces the value of the very receivables you are hiring us to collect. Our large-firm experience comes with the cost-effectiveness and accessibility of a small, boutique firm, providing our clients with a greater chance of a larger recovery.
MDSW’s creditors’ rights practice includes:
- Commercial collections. We pursue the collection of secured and unsecured commercial debts for businesses of all sizes and kinds throughout the state of Maryland, including banks, institutional lenders, contractors, subcontractors, commercial landlords and equipment lessors.
- Retail collections. MDSW pursues recovery on portfolios of secured and unsecured consumer debt for banks, savings and loans, credit unions and other lenders
- Construction collections.We file and enforce mechanic’s lien claims as well as labor and material payment bond claims
- We are effective in repossessing and recovering collateral from defaulting debtors for lessors and other secured creditors
Strategic Bankruptcy Representation
MDSW brings together attorneys with backgrounds in a number of different disciplines which can offer clients a strategic advantage in bankruptcy proceedings. Our experience in such areas as commercial litigation, banking, commercial collections, real estate, and financing inform our approach to bankruptcy matters. When combined with our knowledge of bankruptcy law and procedure, these complementary practices allow us to give our clients holistic guidance that looks far beyond the filing of a petition or claim.
MDSW’s bankruptcy attorneys represent debtors and creditors in liquidation or reorganization proceedings under Chapters 7, 11 and 13 of the Bankruptcy Code, including:
- Prosecution and defense of adversary proceedings to determine dischargeability of debt or objections to discharge
- Defense of fraudulent conveyance actions or preferential transfer actions filed by trustee
- Assignments for benefit of creditors
- Out-of-court composition plans or workouts
- Representation of creditors in Chapters 7, 11, and 13
- Representation of businesses in Chapters 7 and 11
- Representation of individuals in Chapters 7, 11, and 13
- Prosecution of motions to modify the automatic stay
- Preparation and securing reaffirmations of debt
Call Our Creditors’ Rights and Bankruptcy Attorneys Today
With a combination of sophisticated, nationwide experience and deep Eastern Shore roots, the attorneys at McAllister, DeTar, Showalter & Walker LLC are committed to providing efficient and personal legal services in collections and bankruptcy proceedings on the Eastern Shore and throughout Maryland. We welcome the opportunity to meet with you and learn about how we may be able to assist you. Give us a call today at (410) 820-0222 or contact us online to arrange for a consultation to discuss your needs or concerns.