Richard (Rad) A. DeTar
Rad DeTar is a commercial litigator. Rad’s business litigation practice focuses on ownership breakups and a wide variety of breach of contract and business tort disputes. He also provides counsel in disputes involving terminations and the enforceability of non-competition and non-solicitation agreements. He recently successfully defended a client against a $3 million breach of contract action before AAA brought by a national food manufacturer. His real estate litigation practice involves representing purchasers, sellers, real estate agents, contractors, developers and property owners. Rad recently represented a land owner in a state highway condemnation case that resulted in a $5 million payment.
Rad regularly appears in trial and appellate courts throughout the State of Maryland as well as in numerous other jurisdictions with assistance of local counsel. His published decisions include Bucktail, LLC v. County Council of Talbot County, 352 Md. 530 (1999); Greenfield v. Heckenbach, 144 Md.App. 108 (2002); Mamsi Life Ins. Co. v. Callaway, 375 Md. 261 (2003); South Easton Neighborhood Association, Inc., et al. v. Town of Easton, Maryland, 387 Md. 468 (2005); Auto-Owners Insurance Company v. Southeast Floating Docks, Inc., 571 F.3d 1143 (11th Cir. 2009); and Appleton Regional Community Alliance, et al. v. Board of County Commissioners of Cecil County, Maryland, 420 Md. 172 (2011).
In November of 2020, Rad was registered as a Fellow with the Litigation Counsel of America. This invitation-only fellowship is a close-knit, peer-selected, and aggressively diverse honorary society of 3,500 of the best trial lawyers found anywhere. It accepts less than one-half of one percent of American lawyers, vigorously vetted for skills, expertise, and service, representing clients across North America and around the world.
Prior to founding MDSW, Rad practiced with Miles & Stockbridge P.C. for 23 years, 16 of which as a partner. Rad served on the firm’s Board of Directors and as Chair of the Real Estate Litigation Section. Rad’s personal interests are as varied as his practice, including all forms of exercise as well enjoying the rivers, beaches and ocean along the Eastern Shore with his family.
- Maryland, 1989
- Pennsylvania, 1989
- Pennsylvania, 1989
- Maryland, 1992
- Talbot Optimist Club, President, 1996-1997
- Talbot County YMCA, Board of Directors, President, 1998-2002
- BB&T Bank Regional Advisory Board, 2002-2019
- What’s Up Eastern Shore® - Eastern Shore Leading Lawyers – Selected for inclusion in the areas of Arbitration and Litigation, 2016, 2018.
- Chambers and Partners – Listed in the area of Real Estate, 2013-2014
- Benchmark Litigation: The Guide to America's Leading Litigation Firms and Attorneys – Listed as a Future Star, 2011; Listed as a Local Litigation Star for General Commercial Litigation, 2013-2014
- Maryland Super Lawyers® – Selected for inclusion in the area of Land Use/Zoning, Business Litigation, 2011-2012; Real Estate Litigation, 2010-2012; Land Use/Zoning, 2013-2014; Business Litigation 2020-2021